One of my brothers had a drug problem. It broke up his marriage, and he lost custody of his four kids. One day, he had a party at his apartment with some of his druggie friends. During the party, someone accidentally dropped a lighted cigarette on the sofa, where it sat smoldering undetected. A few hours after the party broke up, my brother awoke to a burning sofa and an apartment filled with smoke. He stumbled through the room and made it to the front door, where he collapsed from smoke inhalation. When the firemen arrived, they carried him outside. I held him in my arms as he took his last breath.