It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, and we had just returned from church. I didn't waste time changing clothes, but rushed outside with a popsicle to look for butterflies. I chased a Monarch to the edge of the hill and decided to take the cement steps rather than trying to get down the hill in my church shoes. Distracted by a caterpillar crawling over the clovers between the two middle steps, I plopped down on the step to watch him. The stinging burns startled me, and I tried to scream for mom, but felt myself immediately struggling for air. I woke up in the hospital to learn that hornets lived in that step, and that I was allergic to bee stings.